Is moving day right around the corner? As we welcome you to our community, we’d like to offer some helpful tips to help you along on your journey!
- Those giant cardboard boxes are a huge expense when moving. Before buying any boxes, use any containers that you already have at your disposal including suitcases, baskets, and laundry bins. Next, look into getting some plastic see-through bins for convenience, they usually have the added benefit of having handles. If you find that you still need some cardboard boxes, contact your local supermarket as some are willing to donate boxes they receive from shipments!
- Visit your local USPS and sign up for mail forwarding. You’ll be prepared to receive your mail right when you move in, and they will hand you valuable coupons for rental trucks and moving equipment to help you save money.
- Pack early! There’s nothing wrong with slowly packing things you don’t need weeks in advance.
- Keep a sharpie readily available to label containers as this makes it much easier to unpack.
- Wrap your breakables and valuables in clothing, towels, and bed sheets. This also saves you money from having to buy packing paper and bubble wrap.
- Prepare a bag with your necessities. Pack any items that you feel will need to be available immediately after moving and unpack that bag first at your new home.
- The first thing you should bring with you is water, snacks, and somewhere to sit. Having these things available in case someone needs to take a break is a huge bonus.
- Exercise proper lifting technique! Squat and maintain good posture. Remember to lift with your legs and not with your back. For more information on proper lifting technique, click here.
- There are many benefits to renting ramps and dollies. These tools not only make moving more convenient for you, but can also lower risk of injury by safely moving your belongings.
We hope some of these tips will help you make a smooth transition to your new home! Please consult with your community if they have any special guidelines during the moving process.